Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Felt Ice cream Cones a 'How To'....sort of.

So, I've developed a major interest in (and love for) felt play food.  It's amazing!  A couple years ago, we bought Ella a kitchen set for Christmas and it came with a few pieces of plastic play food.  I am so not a fan of plastic play food.  The kids chew and suck on it and somehow it fills with saliva (ew, ew, ew!).  It also gets bite marks in it and who knows what is actually in that material.


I came across an Etsy shop that was selling felt biscuits and tea bags.  They were adorable and I was instantly convinced I could make them (apparently, I've become and excellent crafts-woman overnight!).  Since then, I've become devoted to making felt play food...of course, I've only made a few things because something else always seems to come up.


Vanilla and Strawberry scoops!

I thought I'd share my felt ice cream cones with you today.  Ice cream was definitely at the top of my 'to make' list - being one of the most important play foods a kids could ever have.  I started off making the scoops and a little later on I made a few cones.




The scoops are really easy to make.  I cut out two circles - one was a 4 inch diameter and the other was a 2 inch diameter.  Then I pinned the two together at their circumferences while gathering the larger circle.  Gathering gives the scoop that rippled look.  I sewed these by hand because it was a bit too difficult to get them under the machine.  They are very quick and easy to sew by hand, though.  I stuffed them with extra fabric I had lying around that was too small to use for any other projects.



For the cones, I basically cut out a triangle shape with a curved base - similar to the shape used to make birthday party hats.  I chose to use the machine and sew on the outside of the cone.  Ice cream cones have so many imperfections anyways, it gives the cone a little bit of character!  After stuffing the cone, I sewed on a 2 inch diameter circle to close the opening where the cone sits.




The most recent ice cream cone I made has a couple of magnets inside - yes, very clever!  I put one under the ice cream scoop and the corresponding one in the cone where the scoop sits.  I tested the strength of the magnets between two pieces of felt, before sewing, and they seemed to be strong enough.  Unfortunately, that was not the case once the magnets were all sewn up inside.  The magnets just weren't strong enough to keep the scoop on the cone.  I'm going to try again using a thinner material under the scoop and on top of the cone.  I'll keep you posted on that one!



Mmmm...Triple Scoop!
 I managed to get a few shots of Harry playing.  Notice the ice cream bucket - it fits perfectly into the play kitchen's fridge!  He seems to be a bit more interested in the bucket than the ice cream.



The picture's a little fuzzy, but he's still so darn cute!

Linked To:

See Vanessa Craft

4 comments:

  1. Love this idea, and yes he is pretty cute. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a thought for your ice cream cone and the magents try using a heavy interfacing.The interfacing will be fairly sturdy as well to supprt the magnet. that should work. Very good idea Jess Also was thinking you could take yellow and white felt and make a fried egg. Good luck with all the food items it is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - thanks Sue. I will definitely try that and let you know how it turns out. I may try to make a fried egg tonight - Ella will LOVE that! Thanks :D

      Delete

You May Also Enjoy: