Thursday, 31 May 2012

"This from That" Series Part 1: Peasant Dress

As I mentioned yesterday, this will be the final post for part 1 of my "this from that" series.  I wanted to do one project a week for the month of May, and believe it or not May is coming to an end.  I'll probably pick up again with part 2 in July or August (I still have a few items to use and I need to pick up some boy material!).


So my project for this week is yet another little girls' item - an adorable peasant dress.  I got the pattern and instructions from a blog I found on Pinterest.  You can click here to see it.  The pattern is very basic and crazy easy to follow.  


I started off with this adorable pillow case which cost me $1.50 (yes, that was marked down from $3.00).  



Here's a closer (and more ironed) look...

Adorable fabric for a little girl...am I right?
The first thing I did was to reach for my trusty stitch ripper and pull out ALL of the stitches that were sewn to make the pillow case.  This left me with one long piece of material.





Next, I folded it lengthwise and cut out all of my pattern pieces - 2 main pieces, 2 sleeves and 4 pockets.  This will be my first time putting pockets in something - oh, so exciting!!


No pocket pieces here  - I wasn't sure if I was going to use them at this point.


Lastly, I followed the instructions given on Sew Easy Being Green and sewed those bad boys together.  Here's my finished project:






Is this not the most adorable dress pattern ever?  It was also my first time sewing with elastic thread.  It's amazing!  Here's a view of the cinched waist made using the elastic thread.



And finally, here's the girl modelling.  If you follow my blog, you know how difficult it can be for me to get a nice pose out of this child.  There are a couple of keepers here.


Try not to look at the dirty runners on her feet.  


Pockets!
I have a bit of material left over, so I may try to make a matching purse or headband...or if I'm feeling super ambitious, a matching doll dress.  I hope you enjoyed this series.  Stay tuned for some more fun to come in June.


Had to get my little Harry in here.

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! Definitely your best creation yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Jess. Such a great idea and an easy pattern. Great day at the Kuypers house

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! That fabric is amazing! Nice find! Your daughter is even more adorable, though! Thanks for the shout-out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented and Ella is adorable. Great job.
    Love Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: