Friday, 13 April 2012

Delicious Slow Cooker Applesauce

If you know me well, you know how I am pretty particular about the type of snacks I let the kids have (this apparently went out the window over the Easter weekend!).   Morning and afternoon snacks usually consist of fruit and/or crackers, granola bars or yogurt.  One of the most popular snack/dessert options in our house is applesauce.  I will often buy a jar of unsweetened applesauce which may last for a week or so, but over the past year I have been making it in the slow-cooker.  It is so ridiculously easy and delicious.  It is even better in the fall when we get to use apples we've picked ourselves.

The recipe I use is kind of a mish-mash of other recipes I've seen on the Internet - nothing too complex!  I try to use little to no sugar, depending on the type of apple.  Also, I will sometimes use nutmeg, allspice or pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon.

Here's what I do:

I bought a 4lb bag of Macintosh apples and I used every one of them.  Usually I will use 8 - 10 large apples, but these ones were a bit smaller.  I also have 1/2 cup of water, 1 Tbsp of sugar and some cinnamon.  I am using sugar in this batch because the apples are a bit tart.

Peel apples and remove cores.  I don't bother chopping the apples because they turn to mush  while cooking

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and mix it up

Cook on low for about 7 hours until it looks like this.  It doesn't look too appetizing, I realize, but it tastes delicious!

Scoop the sauce into 125 ml mason jars, or jars of your choice, and heat process to seal them.  I always end up with a few that don't seal, so I just store those in the fridge.

Give some to your children to enjoy...hopefully their smiles are just as silly as this one!  

For fun, I decorate the jars in a few different ways.  They are cute and Ella has a fun time picking out her jar.  No need to spend hours decorating.  It is usually enough to cut out a circle of construction paper and put a cute stamp on it.


Although Applesauce doesn't bring much nutritional value to the table, at least it's fruit and it's a better option than most of the pre-packaged snacks out there!

Enjoy : )


No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Enjoy: